Too Late by Colleen Hoover - A Book Review

by - November 23, 2023


 Synopsis:

Sloan will go through hell and back for those she loves. And she does so, every single day. Caught up with the alluring Asa Jackson, a notorious drug trafficker, Sloan has finally found a lifeline to cling to, even if it’s meant compromising her morals. She was in dire straits trying to pay for her brother’s care until she met Asa. But as Sloan became emotionally and economically reliant on him, he in turn developed a disturbing obsession with her – one that becomes increasingly dangerous every day.

When undercover DEA agent Carter enters the picture, Sloan’s surprised to feel an immediate attraction between them, despite knowing that if Asa finds out, he will kill him. And Asa has always been a step ahead of everyone in his life, including Sloan. No one has ever gotten in his way.

No one except Carter.

Together, Sloan and Carter must find a way out before it’s too late . . .

Genre: Psychological thriller

My Thoughts:

With Colleen Hoover being one of my favourite authors, I decided to hop on the trend of Too Late by her, as it had gained popularity on BookTok and I was intrigued. Verity is one of my favourite books ever, so when I saw that Too Late fell into the same genre, I knew I had to read it even more. 

Starting off, I had VERY high hopes and standards following Verity and I’m not sure anything can ever beat it (I’m yet to find out).

I was able to read Too Late in 3 days (probably in 2 if I hadn’t of stretched it out), but that’s nothing new with Colleen’s books as I find then so easy to follow and read.  

Too Late was a book that I was able to follow easily and did not find myself dreading or checking the time constantly. Although I semi enjoyed this book, there were parts that I felt did not make this on the same level as Verity. Throughout the book, it is made more and more apparent that Asa has serious mental health problems, starting with being delusional. I was expecting more twists and turns to happen and I feel like parts were anticlimactic. I didn’t feel like I was on edge throughout the book and that my heart was racing. I really do think this book has been mis advertised as being on the same level as Verity, which could be why I was disappointed. Perhaps my thoughts would’ve been different had I read this before Verity. 
At the end, I just felt like something was missing. I thought Asa dying was very anticlimactic and could have had some sort of stand off / fight between Asa, Sloan or Carter where you didn’t know who would win. If that had of happened, I think ending the chapter on a gunshot would’ve gave some tension as you would’ve been left on the cliffhanger, not knowing who had been shot. I also think it was very unrealistic that Asa was out on house arrest again, when he had already breached his conditions. 

However, I was rooting for Sloan and Carter throughout, but I do wish there had been more development in their relationship. I felt like it was rushed and there wasn’t a great deal of detail that made me want to root for them hardcore. 

Rumour has it that this version was a republish and previously had a different ending. According to the internet, the original ending saw Asa kidnap Sloan to a remote cabin where he had plans to kill her. Carter realised he had feelings for Sloan and attempted to rescue her, but was faced with a confrontation with Asa that resulted in his death, where Asa was then arrested. 
I think this ending would have more anxiety provoking moments and made the story more heart racing, but it was obviously changed for a reason. 

I wouldn’t say this has deterred me from reading more Colleen Hoover, I just probably wouldn’t go in with such high expectations as I did 

My Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Georgia 


You May Also Like

0 comments